When the UK administration introduced its ESOS Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme reactions from business people followed a familiar theme.
- Do nothing it will go away
- The next Westminster will drop this
- Another stealth tax. I don?t have time for this
- Give the problem to admin and tell them to fix it
ecovaro decided to share three facts with you. These are
(1) ESOS is not a government money spinner
(2) all major political parties support it, and
(3) it is a cost-effective way to put money back in your pocket while feeling better about what business pumps into the environment.
Four More ESOS Facts
1. You Cannot Give the Problem to Admin ? Energy is technical. The lead belongs with your operations staff because they understand how your systems work. Some things are best outsourced though. ecovaro is here to help.
2. ESOS is Not Going to Go Away ? A company inside the regulation net must submit its first report by 6 December 2015. Non-compliance risks the following penalties:
- ?5,000 for not maintaining adequate records
- ?50,000 for not completing the assessment
- ?50,000 for making a false or misleading statement
3. The Employee Count is the Annual Average – The employment criteria (unlike balance sheet and turnover) is the monthly average of full and part-time employees taken across the full financial year. The fact you have <250 employees in December 2015 when the first report is due does not necessarily let you off the hook.
4. The 6 December 2014 Report is No Big Deal ? When you think about it the administration is hardly likely to spend years wading through 9,000 detailed company energy plans. It has no authority to comment in any case. All that is required is for a senior director to confirm reading the document, and a lead assessor to agree it complies with the law.
Does this mean that ESOS is a damp squib? We do not think so, although some firms may take the low road. ecovaro believes the financial benefits will carry the process forward, and that the imperative to make the world a better place will do the rest.