Every industry has its own set levels of quality that are considered acceptable or desirable. Energy performance like any other field is governed by some set standards. These differ across regions but international standards do exist.
ISO 50001 is the international energy standard applicable to both large and small organizations irrespective of geographical, cultural or social conditions. It outlines the best energy management practices that are considered to be the best by specifying that an organization must integrate an energy management system and institute an energy policy, objectives, targets, and action plans taking into account legal requirements and information related to significant energy use. The energy standard is applicable to organizations.
What’s the importance of attaining energy certification?
ISO certification in any industry is a demonstration of quality or that a service or product meets the expected service standards. In energy management, ISO certification is a demonstration that an organization or company has implemented sustainable energy management systems, completed a baseline of energy use and, is committed to continuously improve its energy performance. In addition, ISO certification assists organizations in the following ways:
• Organizations are able to optimize the existing energy-consuming assets.
• Offers guidance on benchmarking, measuring, documenting, and reporting energy intensity improvements and their projected impact on reducing GHG emissions.
• Creates transparency and facilitates communication on the management of energy resources.
• Promotes energy management best practices and reinforces good energy management behaviors.
• Assists facilities in evaluating and prioritizing the implementation of new energy-efficient technologies.
• Provides a framework for promoting energy efficiency throughout the supply chain.
• Facilitates energy management improvements in the context of GHG emission reduction projects: The reduction of carbon emissions means therefore an organization is able to meet government carbon reduction targets by demonstrating environmental credentials. The accruing benefits are many, ranging from increased investor confidence to more tender opportunities.
Energy management software plays a vital role in helping organizations comply with energy standards through improved performance across the various functions in an organization.